Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Rangeley Day 3 *A Day Late*

Sorry everyone about posting a day later, Saoirse and I were super busy yesterday, as you will see in the upcoming post. Earlier, when we had driven up to Saoirse's cabin, she had spotted a local playground, squealing with excitement at yet another potential place for her and I to visit while in town. So, we decided to walk there on Monday.
First, Saoirse challenged me to a race up the rock wall. Of course, with me being older and WAY more athletic than she is, it was an easy win. ;)

I have to give her credit though, she took her loss like a champ even with my relentless cheering.
 
Next, we visited the slide portion of the playground. I won the rock climbing competition, thus I got to go first down the slide. Saoirse gave me a powerful push, and I went sailing down the green, plastic slope.
 
After that, it was Saoirse's turn. She shouted "Bí ag faire amach!" on her way down.
 
At the bottom, I stood there, hoping to scare Saoirse into thinking she was going to hit me. It worked ;)
 
Saoirse tried her luck on the swings, after her adventures on the slide and rock wall. As you can see, it didn't turn out so well.
 
When she tumbled over, I couldn't keep myself from giggling :D
 
Saoirse recovered, and as most 11 year olds' minds do, her mind wandered over to the building next to the playground. That girl has amazing eyesight, because as soon as she looked in the window she started squealing. "Jess! Jess! Jess! There's a vending machine in that building! I'm so hungry, can we go get candy?" She pleaded, while giving her best impression of "puppy dog eyes". Of course, I said yes, and so we wandered inside of the building labeled "Rangeley Recreational Center". As soon as we walked in the door, Saoirse ran straight towards the machine, deciding on a pack of Reese's peanut butter cups.
 
We decided to go back outside to the playground, where we could sit on a picnic table in the warm sunlight. It didn't take us all that long to finish our snack, and that's when I decided to tell Saoirse what I had noticed immediately when stepping into the rec center. "Hey Saoirse, I noticed that that rec center smelled as if somebody dunked it in chlorine. Do you think there's a pool in there?" Her eyes lit up with excitement, and said "OH MY GOSH I HOPE SO! I LOVE POOLS!" Thus, we wandered back into the building and headed towards the sound of splashing.
 
"Come on, Saoirse! We have got to go swimming! It's a pool!" I cried. "I can't! These are designer clothes, and I don't have a swim suit. There is no way I'm getting in there without a swim suit!" She shouted in reply.
 
I didn't say a word back to her. Instead, I leaned forward and pushed her into the water. I figured that the clothes will dry and she really needed to live a little.
 
I met her at the other end of the pool, where she dragged herself out onto the concrete, sopping wet. It was probably the funniest thing I'd seen all day, including the swing set incident. While I was laughing, I didn't notice that she had gotten fully out of the pool and was coming after me, her arms outstretched with a huge grin on her face. "Come here Jess! It's your turn!" She half-giggled half-yelled. In the end, we both got absolutely soaking wet and couldn't stop laughing.
 
 
On the way home, we stopped to sit in the grass and enjoy the view. I bumped shoulders with Saoirse and said "You're pretty awesome, you know that?" and she bumped mine right back saying "You're not so bad yourself." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment